Clarisonic Skin Cleansing System vs. Olay Pro-X Cleansing Brush System
Posted on September 09, 2016
I have been using the Clarisonic Skin Cleansing System in my practice for over 9 years because I have never found a better way to get my patients’ faces as clean prior to procedures as I do with the Clarisonic brush. Not only is the skin clean, the skin actually feels softer and smoother. The oscillating action of the brushes works with the skin’s natural elasticity to open the pores and clean out make-up and skin debris. In fact, the Clarisonic removes up to 11X more make-up and 2X more oil and dirt than washing with just your hands and cleanser. Then, because the pores have been cleaned out, medicated products that are applied afterwards penetrate the skin 61% better than if the face had been manually cleaned.
I still have the first Clarisonic Pro I bought in 2007 and I still use it every day I’m in my clinic, sometimes as many as 6 or 7 times a day. It is solidly built, well-made, and I have never had a bit of trouble with it.
There have been a lot of imitators to come out since the Clarisonic brush first appeared on the scene in 2004, but no one has been able to duplicate the oscillating motion of the Clarisonic brush. The outside ring of bristles stays stationary, while the inside ring oscillates back and forth at a sonic frequency of more than 300 movements per second. The oscillation of the inner brush effectively cleans, clarifies and stimulates the skin, while a flexing action develops between the outer and the inner bushes which works deep within the pores to loosen dirt and oil. It is this unique combination that makes the Clarisonic so exceptionally effective. Rotational brushes cannot reproduce what an oscillating brush does. They simply rub the surface of the skin in a circular motion like battery-operated wash cloths; and that does not open or clear out the pores.
The Clarisonic is gentle enough for very sensitive skin.
When the Olay cleansing brush came out, it received a lot of press because Olay offers it as a less expensive, but supposedly equally effective, alternative to the Clarisonic cleansing brush. I compared the Olay Pro-X brush to the Clarisonic brush. Alas, the most important word on the Olay box was “rotational.” Like every other imitator, Olay was unable to duplicate the oscillating motion and simply produced one more of a dozen expensive battery-operated washcloths.
So let’s compare:
Olay Professional Pro-X Advanced Cleansing System
- 2-speed rotating system, rotating 350 x per minute
- Soft replaceable nylon brush, only one type
- Battery operated, 2 AA batteries
- Made in China
Clarisonic Skin Cleansing System
- 1- 2- or 4- speed oscillating system designed by the original inventor of the Sonicare toothbrush, oscillating 300 x per second (dramatically faster than the Olay brush)
- Water-proof, safe in the shower or tub
- DuPont super soft replaceable brush head, 7 types:
- Sensitive – introductory brush for normal or sensitive skin types
- Radiance – gentle but good for oily skin
- Delicate – ultra-gentle for delicate or extra-sensitive skin types
- Satin Precision - increases natural hydration for dry or aging skin
- Acne - extra-soft bristles provide ultra-gentle cleansing and sloughing for badly inflamed acne-prone
- Deep Pore Cleansing – for oily skin with large pores or hard to reach areas on the face like crevasses around the nose
- Body – for areas of the body needing extra care and attention including the décolleté, hands, arms, elbows and feet (works with Clarisonic PLUS and PRO models)
- Universal charger or charging cradle depending on model, holds a 30 minute charge, rechargeable
- Hand assembled and made in the USA
- 3 year warranty and 60 day money back guarantee